Friday, January 28, 2011

Optical Illusions in Design

Can you find the hidden man???...

One evening I was about to log into my yahoo account to check my emails, but before I could even type in my user name I was caught by an article about optical illusions.  After glancing through a few of the pictures that showed examples of optical illusions, I then proceeded to think how cool it would be to use this element in design.  Therefore, I searched "optical illusions" into Google and discovered that this element is currently being used and applied to interior design. Here are a few examples...

 Before you are in the right position to view the illusion this is what you would see.


Now you see the random paint lines turn into colorful borders in the window frame. This reminds me of the oil painting Red, Blue, and Yellow by Mondrian.



This concept could easily be used as a branding feature in a space like shown above. I really imagine this in a Target corporate office or headquarters.




These painted designs that seem so random could also be used for wayfinding through a space for users.  It becomes a memorable location and direction into the next space.


The addition of these optical illusions to a space really gives it a true uniqueness, adds character, and becomes a focal point for the space that will always be discussed by guest.   Here are a few more examples of optical illusions...





No comments:

Post a Comment